We found this 80’s style Lane Cedar Chest on Craig’s list and purchased for $40. It’s been sitting in storage for some time until now. This was a straight-forward easy furniture fix.
The first step is the easy, brave step of demo! Before I did this, I did do some research into the value of the Lane chest in a restored condition. As it turns out, antiques (especially heavy furniture) are not as popular as they once were. The likelihood of finding a collector or a buyer for a restored chest seemed unlikely. So, I envisioned something better to bring new use for the chest. My favorite style: Modern Rustic. I spent $10 on fabric from the sale bin at JoAnn’s and $20 for a bundle of wood lathe from the Depot (I still had a lot left over). I had aluminum angle on hand as well as stain and polyurethane.
The green reminds me of a pool table! I did redo the fabric for the tray with a gray material. However, I ended up not reinstalling the tray as I wanted to add gas pistons. The lid weighed in at 37 lbs by itself! The seemed like an accident waiting to happen especially for a small child. So, the tray came out and two gas pistons were installed. I found the pistons on Amazon for 4 for $11. I could have installed lid stay torsion hinges which would have allowed for a safe lid and the ability to keep the tray. However, they were very expensive and I would have needed several for the size and weight which seemed ridiculous.
Demolition of exterior decorative planking. You can see where it had been glued. I used a small pry bar, old chisel, and a hammer to remove the wood.
I stained the wood lathe first with a Minwax classic Gray stain prior to attaching with adhesive and pin nailing into place. The bottom of the chest and lid were finished with Java Gel Stain by General Finishes. The entire chest was top coated with urethane after letting the stains sit at least 24 hours.
I had some aluminum angle left over from another project. I sanded each piece with a random orbit sander to get a nice swirl pattern effect. I used a piece of angle on each corner of the chest and attached with pan head screws
I like the new look so much better!